So several days ago… maybe more than a week at this point… Mer, over at Making over Merbear tagged me in a post… I saw she did, but with my nutso work schedule I didn’t really have a chance to sit down and respond to it. So lets take a moment and not be *that* person and I’ll share a bit about me!
Post 11 Random Facts about yourself, then answer 11 Questions….
Random Things about me!
- I broke my hip twice as an adolescent
- I am a supertaster
- I could swim before I could walk. (I was part of that controversial water babies program back in the 1980’s)
- I still look online trying to find my best friend who moved away when we were in second grade.
- I wanted to be a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon when I was growing up, I read medical books for fun. I still try to keep an eye on new medical developments and read medical texts for fun.
- I have a scar on my left leg from where my brother put an axe in my leg when we were kids. He was trying to build a playground in the garage with an axe on the cement floor… It ended in tears… mine not his.
- I have ehlers-danlos, a “rare” genetic connective tissue disorder. It is a medical zebra condition.
- I had never had a Hostess or Little Debbie product until I was in my late twenties… and when I finally had one, I didn’t like it.
- I carry a mens wallet
- I collect sheep (if only I could keep real sheep in the city!)
Mer’s Questions for me:
1. What is your main reason for living a healthy lifestyle?
I thought I was going to die, I have too much life left to live. I was in so much pain physically that I didn’t know what I had left to lose. I wanted to be able to spend the time I had left enjoying life, not suffering through it.
2. What would you say is your “go to” quick emergency snack?
I don’t do much as far as snacking, but if I am in need of a snack usually there is some kind of veggie in my fridge, either carrots or cucumbers and hummus. There is also generally a bag of frozen peas in the freezer. Thaw those out and I love to snack on them!
3. What is your favorite exercise and why?
Probably swimming is my favorite exercise. Sadly my new gym lacks a pool, but those are the breaks. I really enjoy the ease of the elliptical and my ability to just zone out. My new gym also lacks those, but has arc trainers as a substitute. They are very similar and just take a bit of getting used to.
4. Why do you blog?
I blog to let others see that there is hope. There is always someone out there that is going through the same thing. There is someone who started where you are, or is going where you are, or who can provide feedback support guidance, which is all awesome. At the end of the day it is all about me. I blog for me. I want a record of my struggles, I want proof that it wasn’t easy, I want proof that it didn’t happen overnight, that there were more successes than failures, and that it was worth the work.
5. Dogs? Cats? Both? Neither?
I love both, I had both growing up. Now I have neither and desire either!
6. Have you “given up” any foods for healthiness reasons? Will you ever have it again? Why?
I have not given up anything 100% for the sake of my diet. There are things that I don’t eat, but that’s in general stuff I didn’t ever really eat like McDonald’s. I still go there for two things. Coffee and a cone. I find that deprivation diets set you up for failure. This is about a lifestyle change and what I wanted from this was to find a way to live my life the way I wanted and I will not get through life pretending things I wanted don’t exist.
7. Are you doing or have you or are you considering a paid-for weight loss program? Which one? Why do you do it or how did it help you? If not, what are you doing on your own?
I would love to try something like slimgenics or medifast, but the cost is super prohibitive for me. I am sure if I did the math with what I pay for my food etc would make it all work out, but I just can’t justify spending money on something that I can do on my own. I cook my own food workout on my own and pretty much play by my own rules. It worked for the first bunch of weight… although it looks like it may be time to find something new.
8. Tell me about a dream vacation, one you’ve been on or one you’d like to go on.
I have been to Alaska twice. Once was just a cruise, and once I went for a cruise and land combo trip. Both were amazing for their own reasons, and I would love to go back again. The first trip I met a boy, we had a shipboard romance, crazy teenage love. It was awesome, taught me a lot about being who I am, and being comfortable about being myself! The second trip taught me a lot about being alone, I was with my mom and it was just as my divorce was final. The scenery wa amazing and it is just a whole different world up there.
9. What do you use to blog mainly? Mac? PC? iPad? Phone? and where do you find yourself when you are blogging…desk, couch, coffee shop, bed, kitchen table?
I used to blog from home, on a pc, I blogged a few times from the WordPress app, two of those posts got eaten! (Horrible I know!) Now in general I blog only on the weekends, from the comfort of a coffee shop, usually a caribou coffee with a latte and a hot tea. It is my decompression time.
10. Introvert (recharge with alone time) or extrovert (get energy from people)?
Both! I find i strike a balance between the two. I get lots of energy from being around my friends, and other people but at the end of an outing I need to go home decompress and find some time alone to process and recharge myself again. It’s very hard to explain.
11. What is your favorite quote that keeps you motivated?
Choose your hard. Everything in life is difficult… you always have a choice… you choose how you want to do things.
Do you comment on my blog and have a blog? Repost and let me know! Hey #f2fpackers I want to hear from you! Post this to your blog! 🙂